Every year, Marin Community Clinics seems to accomplish more and more, and 2017 was another banner year. We continue to grow in response to increasing community need and are proud of our accomplishments.
In 2017, we experienced a leadership transition. My thanks to Linda Tavaszi, who served as CEO for six years, for her visionary leadership. We are pleased that Linda continues to be a supportive member of the “MCC family.”
We are so appreciative of the contributions and passion that our providers, staff, volunteers, and our donors bring to our work – you make it happen!
Mitesh Popat, MD, MPH – CEO
2017 at a Glance
- Clinics in San Rafael, Novato, and Larkspur (medical, dental and teen)
- 34,000 patients and 183,302 patient visits
- Patient-centered Medical Home model (Level III the highest)
- 442 staff (350 FTEs)
- 203,300 calls to Patient Call Center
- $44.6 million annual budget
- $1.4 million raised through philanthropy
- Continuing partnerships with the University of California (dental and optometry residents), County of Marin Department of Health & Human Services, SF-Marin Food Bank, and ExtraFood.org
New or Expanded Patient Services
- Quality awards from the Health Resources & Services Administration and Partnership HealthPlan
- Successful transition of County of Marin dental clinic to Marin Community Clinics
- Continued growth in patient volume
- Growth of complementary medicine offerings (acupuncture and chiropractic care)
- Growth of case management for complex medical cases
- Initiation of transportation pilot
- Hiring of our first addiction counselor
- High staff retention rate compared to state standards
- 5 physicians
- 5 dentists
- 8 nurse practitioners/nurses
- 3 behavioral health providers
- Weekly Health Hubs in San Rafael and Novato served 111,000 individuals and an estimated 32,000 households; 400 people received health screenings at the San Rafael Hubs
- 3,600 community members received insurance eligibility counseling or were enrolled in health insurance and other public benefit programs
Marin Community Clinics takes great pride in the high quality of care we provide to our patients.
- 67.1% of adult patients and 68.6% of parents of pediatric patients rated their providers as a 9 or 10 (on a scale of 1-10) – both higher than national or Partnership HealthPlan averages
Our focus on prevention and mental health management has resulted in outcomes that are in the top 10% of the 14 Northern California counties that participate in Partnership HealthPlan.
- 78% of female patients 21-64 years old received cervical cancer screening
- 78% of patients who screened positive for depression received follow-up
- 53% of patients 50-75 years old were screened for colorectal cancer
Awards & Recognition
- Quality Leader award (including $109,000 grant) from the federal Health Resources & Services Administration
- Partnership HealthPlan Quality Improvement Program award for Larkspur, Campus and San Rafael clinics
- Designation as a “top performer” by Partnership HealthPlan for Quality Improvement Program
- $1.4 million in Quality of Care awards for quality improvement, leadership, and Patient Care Medical Home efforts
Our Financial Health
Marin Community Clinics has positioned itself to adapt to changes in the health care environment that could have negative impacts on community health centers and our patients. All net income and reserves are used to maintain and expand patient care as well as to ensure our viability into the future.
Revenue: $44.6 million
Expenses: $41.5 million
Net Operating Income: $3.1 million
Marin Community Clinics continues to be the largest safety net provider of primary care in Marin, last year serving 34,000 individuals – a significant portion of Marin’s population, Increasingly, we are also providing specialty medical care.
40% of our patients are children.